Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Enchiladas from a Chinita

In my repertoire of recipes, I have about 20 that I rotate and play with.  I learned this enchilada recipe online, used tips from individuals in my past and present and take chances on ingredients as fillers--while holding steadfastly to certain original components.  The fillers are usually what I take chances on, but I always do a green sauce and add some kick.  I know what a traditional enchilada takes from watching others make them but this is a healthier alternative.

I love using leftover rotisserie chicken and whatever cheese is in the fridge.  In the past, I've also added in nopales, jalepenos, etc.  This time, I used chicken, corn, green onions, sour cream and hard boiled eggs.  In the future I probably wouldnt go with the eggs but I really wanted eggs today, maybe b/c I just bought a new case of eggs from Costco. 





A rectangle baking dish holds about 8-10 fatly stuffed enchilada rolls.  I always put a generous dose of the sauce on the bottom of the pan for flavor and so that it doesnt stick as much on the pan.  Its kind of fun to stuff, roll and tuck. 




So you just keep rolling like so, cover with sauce and sprinkle with cheese.  I bake at 375 for about 40 minutes and then about another 15-20 min so that the top gets crunchy.  No frying! Isnt that exciting?  I recommend you either make your own green sauce or use El Pato.  I experimented and regret venturing outside my favorite brand in this case. 




So I didnt get a cross section of an individual serving...guess that means you will have to make it for yourself and eat up! Just remember, no boiled eggs and use El Pato brand!!!!!  So crunchy... thats what you want.  It also freezes well, which is what I end up doing since I hate cleaning baked on goo off pans more than I absolutely have to.  xoxo

1 comment: