Monday, March 8, 2010

San Diego Desserts Part 2- College area

I know that I have recently blogged on this place but today, I tried out their brunch (click here to see my previous post on this place's desserts: San Diego Desserts- visit one.  Again, I will reveal that I do personally know the owner of this bakery but I will still do my best to maintain an objective approach so as not to steer anyone astray.  San Diego Desserts has retail, catering, and commercial baking services as well as newly added dinner, brunch, lunch, happy hour and a small bar inside.  You can apparently use the neighboring parking lot next to the verizon store and its supposed to be ok.  But dont quote me on that since I do not have the slush fund to pay for others' tow fees.  My friend's parents were in town so it was an occasion to go eat and stuff our faces.  They are the cutest people from Ohio I swear.  I love small town people so much....


Here is the brunch menu side one.  They have only about 10 choices for brunch, but you can have dessert first before you have your meal and that ups your options by about 20 more. 



Side two of the menu.  They also had mimosas and a drink menu consisting of different espressos, teas, italian soda, and options to make any of your coffees adult-style. 



This was highly recommended by my co-worker and the waitress as well- the almighty Eggs Benedict.  They bake the french bread on premises and it comes with the potatoes.  The hollandaise was creamy and yummy with a hint of something in the background.  For 8 bucks I believe, a great deal and the portion was enough to make grown man from Ohio who is over 6 ft tall get full.  I did steal a bite of this and was a happy camper.  Potatoes are freshly made but ordinarily seasoned--nicely cooked.  I just hate when you get a hard potato, dont you?  Luckily that didnt happen here....




This was the spinach parmesan quiche that came with fruit.  When it came out, it didnt look very substantial to be honest.  Dont you like the antique-ish dish?  It did come with a mix of fresh fruit e.g. cantaloupe, kiwi, apples, and something else.  I didnt get to try this but it got rave reviews from my friend's mom.  She was also surprised at how filling it turned out to be after her intial glimpse of the dish.  It apparently goes well with mimosas! I think it was 8 bucks. 



Bacon swiss quiche.  Again, I didnt taste this dish either but my friend loved it.  You can see the fruit a little bit in the background.  The crust does look very flaky and the eggs looked creamy and cheesy in person.  I think they do different plates for the eclectic feel.  I have seen similar dishes for brunch elsewhere for at least 4 bucks more...


I got the San Diego egg scramble which had brie cheese, pork sausage, potatoes and mushrooms--it came with their fresh baked soudough bread.  The sausage in the scramble was not like your regular bfast sausage.  It looked more like cured sausages and in more of a tubed shaped...but tasted nice and salty  in a good way.  The brie chunks were big.  The potatoes were the ones seen in the benedict photo.  I thought the eggs were cooked a bit too long but the portion was large.  The bread was soooo good.  Chewy, with crunch.  I could have just had a few slices of the bread with jam and butter and maybe a slice of bacon and been giddy.  Since I had lots of scrambles left over, they were nice enough to give me a few extra slices of the bread for carryout.  Yes! I didnt take a picture of my dish in my excitement...sorry. 



The piece de resistance: Monte Bianco.  Go run and get one.  NOW.  Chocolate and white chocolate mix whipped cream mix with chocolate cake on top and bottom.  Really good fondant topped the entire cake.  Dont get it if you dont want to get another one to go.  I may or may not have gotten two for the road.  Its that good....



3 comments:

  1. Although everything looks great, the monte bianco caught my attention! I need to make a trip out there and treat myself to breakfast and dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi dd, Eggs Beneeee's, Yummy. the ultimate breakfast food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the baklava that they have there. I haven't seen it rolled up before!

    ReplyDelete